This story was initially featured on Discipline & Stream.
A sign mirror is a key device to incorporate in any survival equipment. When used accurately, a mirror can mirror daylight with life-saving accuracy (so far as 7 miles on a transparent day) to alert potential rescuers of your location. In wilderness areas, your potential goal will often be a bush aircraft or helicopter, however a mirror may also be used to sign folks or automobiles on the bottom.
First, it’s ideally suited to have a sign mirror with a built-in sight—a small gap in the midst of the mirror which you can peep by for higher accuracy. Should you’re utilizing a mirror with out a sight, maintain it in opposition to your face simply beside your eye. Should you don’t have a mirror, different reflective surfaces—akin to a stainless-steel plate or, to a lesser extent, the display screen of your smartphone or handheld GPS machine—can be utilized in a pinch.
The principals of utilizing a sign mirror are fundamental however follow is important for fast deployment. A passing bush aircraft doesn’t stick round for lengthy. Right here’s the way it’s finished.
The best approach to make use of a sign mirror
1. Dealing with the solar, place the mirror subsequent to your eye—or, if it has a sight, maintain the mirror proper as much as your eye to peep by the outlet—after which look towards the solar.
2. Stretch out your different arm in entrance of you and tilt your head down till you’ll be able to see the reflection of the mirror in your hand.
3. Unfold open two fingers to create a V and information the mirrored gentle between them. Hold a small portion of the reflection seen in your fingers so you realize it’s there.
4. Place your goal between your two spread-out fingers whereas angling the mirror in order that the mirrored gentle stays between them.
5. As soon as the directed gentle is fastened in your goal, flash the mirror up and down 3 times shortly. Three represents the common misery sign, and flashing can be extra attention-grabbing than direct gentle.
6. Within the even that each your goal and the solar aren’t in entrance of you, you’ll have to angle your physique as a lot as 90 levels from the solar to direct the sunshine precisely.
7. In case your goal is behind you whilst you’re dealing with the solar, flip round to face your goal, then lay down in your again. Maintain the mirror in place whereas nonetheless conserving your sighting hand outstretched in entrance of you for accuracy.