Chandra Bhedana Pranayama (Left Nostril Respiratory): Advantages, Precautions
Chandra Bhedana Pranayama is a cooling respiration strategy of yoga through which air is inhaled by means of the left nostril and exhale by means of the appropriate nostril. It’s a sort of uninostril respiration the place inhalation and exhalation are restricted to the left and proper nostrils respectively.
In keeping with yogic science, the left nostril is connected to the ‘Chandra’ or ‘Ida Nadi’ that exists alongside the spinal column. Nadis, typically, is the vitality channels that unfold all through our physique to stream the prana (life power) in numerous organs. Inhaling Chandra bhedana pranayama impacts the stream of Prana in Chandra Nadi, so it’s additionally referred to as Chandra Nadi Pranayama.
The advantages of Chandra bhedana pranayama come from its mechanism of inducing ‘left aspect of the physique’ and ‘proper hemisphere of the mind’. Inducing the appropriate mind hemisphere prompts the Parasympathetic nervous system and brings a relaxing and soothing impact to the physique.
What Does Chandra Bhedana Pranayama Which means?
Chandra in Sanskrit means ‘moon’ or ‘lunar side’ and Bhedana means ‘piercing’ or ‘penetrating’ one thing. Chandra Bhedana Pranayama actually means “moon piercing respiration”. On this pranayama, by emphasizing respiration by means of the left nostril solely we penetrate (Bhedana) into the Ida Nadi. This Nadi represents the Moon-like calming and soothing high quality in our physique. It’s additionally referred to as ‘Chandra Bhedi Pranayama’.
Inhaling Chandra Bhedana Pranayama will increase the coolness within the physique as a result of on inhalation, the air is full of cooling vitality of Ida Nadi and furthermore, on exhalation, hotness of the physique is exhaled from the appropriate nostril. Due to this fact this pranayama can be named ‘left nostril respiration’.
Chandra or moon additionally governs the female and artistic elements of an individual. So practising Chandra bhedana is useful once you’re confused, want artistic concepts, missing creativeness, ardour, and curiosity in your work. It imparts a tranquilizing impact on the thoughts and handles cognitive capabilities similar to consideration, processing of visible shapes, patterns, feelings, verbal ambiguity, and implied meanings. All these elements are ruled by the appropriate mind solely and Left nostril respiration prompts the appropriate mind hemisphere.
Precautions and Contraindications
Chandra Bhedana Pranayama shouldn’t be practiced within the situation of bronchial asthma, low blood strain cough, or every other respiratory problems. Additionally, it ought to be prevented practising a lot throughout winter periods or on a cool day. Practitioners mustn’t eat proper earlier than and after the follow of this Pranayama.
It’s not beneficial to follow Chandra Bhedana pranayama follow simply after or earlier than the Surya Bhedana Pranayama. Reverse pranayama could neutralize the consequences of each other. Nevertheless, combining these two pranayamas in a single follow makes Nadi Shodhana Pranayama which balances each mind hemispheres.
Methods to Do Chandra Bhedana Pranayama (Steps)
You possibly can carry out Chandra Bhedana Pranayama on a yoga mat, carpeted ground, or smooth floor. Sitting on a chair can be positive for an individual with knee ache or different issues. Nevertheless, protecting the physique in direct contact with the earth will improve the respiration impact.
Comply with the steps to carry out chandra bhedana pranayama;
- Start by coming into any seated meditative posture; straightforward pose or lotus pose. Straighten you’re again, eyes closed, and give attention to the tip of your nostril watching breath coming out and in.
- Now calm down your left hand in your left kneecap and make Vishnu Mudra along with your proper hand.
- Bend your proper hand and elevate it up close to the nostrils. Shut the appropriate nostril with the appropriate thumb so you possibly can solely breathe in by means of the left nostril.
- Start the primary spherical of Chandra Bhedana by taking a deep breath by means of the left nostril, filling the chest to the fullest capability. Really feel the cooling sensation in nostrils and mind as breath turns into deeper right here.
- After deep inhalation, shut the left nostril along with your proper ring finger and start ‘respiration out’ by means of the alternative (proper) nostril. Really feel the warmness within the air that’s popping out by means of the appropriate nostril.
- It completes the one spherical of Chandra bhedana pranayama.
- On this identical method, breath in by means of the left nostril and breath out by means of the appropriate nostril.
- Repeat the method 10 instances in a single stretch. You are able to do Chandra bhedana pranayama for five minutes throughout the daytime in summer time.
- After finishing, launch the right-hand mudra first, stay in the identical sitting place for a couple of breaths, after which get up.
Time of Follow
It’s essential to know the appropriate time to follow Chandra Bhedana Pranayama because it brings coolness, so to keep away from disturbance within the physique’s metabolism outer environmental circumstances ought to be in sync.
Throughout summertime, Chandra Bhedana is best to carry out within the early morning or on Brahma Muhurta. As a result of the sun rises early in the summer time and that is the time when daylight is contemporary and is of low depth.
Nevertheless throughout winter, because of the chilly outer atmosphere, the early morning follow of Chandra bhedana pranayama is perhaps tough within the open. So, the practitioner can anticipate the appropriate environmental circumstances to follow in open or when the solar comes.
Chandra Bhedana Pranayama Advantages
The follow of Chandra Bhedi Pranayama has quite a few advantages from bodily, psychological to emotional well-being. It may be particularly useful in some bodily situations like controlling blood strain, heartburnrn, fever, and so on.
- Gradual and deep inhaling Chandra Bhedi Pranayama helps within the activation of the Parasympathetic Nervous System, which reduces coronary heart fee and dilates blood vessels. Therefore, decreases total Blood Strain.
- The shift in respiration from Chest to stomach or Diaphragm in Chandra Bhedi Pranayama helps in overcoming heartburn. When LES (Decrease Esophagus Sphincter) turns into weaker acid from the abdomen is extra more likely to splash into the esophagus (meals pipe) the place it causes Heartburn.
- It additionally helps in lowering raised physique temperature because of the physique’s protection mechanism towards international brokers like viruses and micro organism. Therefore, Chandra bhedana acts as a therapeutic treatment in Fever.
Other than therapeutic use, Chandra bhedana pranayama advantages the physique and thoughts in such methods;
1. Manages Immune and Metabolic Response
Chandra Bhedi Pranayama entails gradual and deep respiration, which rushes extra oxygen into the physique. This indicator the mind to wind down and balances the cortisol hormone degree answerable for sustaining immune and metabolic responses all through the physique.
2. Overcomes Stress and Anxiousness
Any stimulus that disturbs the stability between thoughts and physique provides rise to emphasis, which causes pointless hyperactivity within the physique. Nevertheless, in keeping with one of many analyses on faculty college students, it has been coming upon that there’s an important discount within the imply worth of stress degree taken earlier than and after the take a look at on the follow of Chandra Bhedi Pranayama.
3. Improves Blood Circulation
Gradual and deep inspiration whereas practicing Chandra Bhedi Pranayama will increase the strain gradient between the appropriate coronary heart and systemic circulation resulting from a lower in intrathoracic/intrapleural strain being transferred to the appropriate atrium. Therefore, a rise in venous return, which fills the appropriate atrium and proper ventricular stroke volumes.
4. Improves Respiratory Effectivity
In keeping with one of many research, there’s an important enhancement in pulmonary operate assessments similar to Compelled Very important capability (FVC), Peak expiratory stream fee (PEFR), Compelled Expiratory Movement (FEF 25-75%), and Most Voluntary Airflow (MVV). Therefore, the common follow of Chandra Bhedi Pranayama will increase respiratory effectivity. Furthermore, it has useful results on the respiratory and cardiovascular system when practiced frequently.
5. Prompts Ida Nadi
In Chandra Bhedi Pranayama, the left nostril is used to breathe air inside. That is additionally the purpose by means of which the Ida Nadi runs. Therefore, the respiration stimulus of the Ida Nadi on this pranayama and gives calmness of thoughts and physique together with coolness all through the physique. Furthermore, it additionally helps within the activation of Sushumna Nadi residing within the middle, together with Pingala Nadi runs by means of the appropriate nostril.
6. Synchronized Mind Waves
Common follow of this pranayama improves and controls the delicate phenomenon of the mind. This brings to thoughts and physique in synchrony by means of respiration. Nevertheless, as per research, it has been coming upon that Chandra Bhedi Pranayama helps in shifting the frequency rely, which ends up in the consciousness of the human mind by means of the attainment of the upper cognitive states.
The Chandra Bhedi Pranayama is efficient yogic respiration, which tranquilizes the thoughts and physique by its cooling impact by means of Ida Nadi. Nevertheless, additionally it is useful in treating heartburn and likewise helps in lowering physique temperature.
As a result of synchronized impact of the mind’s hemisphere, it heightens the attention of the practitioners, which additional leads on to a religious path. Therefore, practitioners ought to frequently follow refining their Prana in each side