Chasing tendencies is just not a advertising and marketing technique I’d suggest for many companies. It may be disjointing and complicated for patrons and loads of pointless work for the corporate. Nevertheless, it’s nonetheless necessary to look at trending matters on social platforms like Twitter, and be able to pounce on alternatives after they current themselves.
One motive for this can be a idea we behavioral economists know because the availability bias–one of the unique foundations of the sector coined by Kahneman and Tversky again of their 1974 paper, “Judgement Beneath Uncertainty“.
Availability bias is triggered after we base the chance of one thing taking place primarily based on how simply an idea involves thoughts. When it’s simpler for us to think about, we consider it to be extra doubtless than one thing we’re much less conscious of. Widespread examples embrace:
- Persons are extra prone to get flood insurance coverage proper after a flood (after they do not want it)
- Whenever you get a dashing ticket, you’ll doubtless drive higher for some time, anticipating one other cop is probably going (even when it’s the solely ticket you have gotten in 15 years)
- When requested, individuals stated there have been extra violent crimes in Detroit than in your entire state of Michigan (which is mindless), however it’s because you usually tend to hear about crime in “Detroit” versus the remainder of the state–it involves thoughts simpler.
Within the case of trending hashtags, availability bias works intently with social proof and our pure tendency to herd. Seeing different individuals doing one thing makes us need to be a part of the in-crowd and do it too. And, a subject “everybody” is speaking about can encourage individuals to take motion they would not in any other case.
Case In Level: Reality Over Flies
I promise, this publish is not going to get into politics, however I do need to discuss “the fly” from the vice presidential debate. In case you did not see it dwell (or on social media within the days that adopted), there was a fly that landed on Mike Pence’s head and hung round for simply over two minutes. Social media had a subject day: many social accounts and hashtags popped up as everybody needed to participate within the dialog.
The Biden-Harris marketing campaign noticed a chance and rapidly posted a photograph of Joe Biden holding a fly swatter with the caption “pitch in $5 to assist this marketing campaign fly.” Shortly after that, the branded “Reality Over Flies” flyswatter was out there for $10 as a donation to the Biden Victory Fund.
Inside hours they offered out of all 35,000 fly swatters.
How lengthy would it not have taken the Biden marketing campaign to lift $350,000 from random residents? In $5 to $10 increments, most likely fairly some time! Following the tendencies on Twitter and performing rapidly allowed them to capitalize on availability bias and social proof do loads of nice issues for the model:
- drive their model and marketing campaign factors residence
- present they’re related and have a relatable humorousness
- bought lots of people (together with celebrities and information retailers) to share their message and pictures of the swatter
You Can Dunk In The Darkish
The Biden-Harris marketing campaign is not the primary to reap the benefits of a chance like this. Bear in mind the blackout at Tremendous Bowl XLVII when Oreo rapidly created a tweet: “Energy out? No drawback: You may nonetheless dunk in the dead of night.” It was retweeted 15,000 instances and Oreo was broadly touted as having the perfect advertising and marketing marketing campaign of the Tremendous Bowl (from a tweet that price them nothing).
What Can Your Enterprise Do?
When seeking to capitalize on availability bias and social proof with these trending hashtags, hold these three issues in thoughts:
- Be fast and easy: hashtags and their tendencies are notoriously fickle. Should you aren’t within the dialog and creating your merchandise within the second individuals will rapidly neglect and never care.
- Be model conscious: that being stated, do not leap on each development and hope it might land. Many manufacturers have made snafus in that space by aligning themselves with a hashtag they thought meant one factor however was really saying one thing fully completely different. Take into account preserving an inventory of the matters/model messages useful so you may say, “How would possibly this align with our message?” If you do not have a transparent reply, maintain off on posting that tweet.
- Perceive the spirit: if it’s a lighthearted joke on social, match that message. If it’s a extra critical hashtag, you do not need to be foolish and look out of contact.