An estimated 16.four million Individuals reside with persistent obstructive pulmonary illness (COPD) – a persistent lung illness that makes it troublesome to breathe – which locations them at an elevated threat for extra extreme sickness from COVID-19. In honor of World COPD Day, and amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the American Lung Affiliation and the COPD Basis are sharing steering and highlighting sources and assist obtainable to these residing with COPD and their caregivers.
It’s essential that these residing with COPD, in addition to their caregivers, do all they will to guard their well being and scale back their publicity to the virus. Adjustments in habits, equivalent to carrying a face masks, might be key to all of us staying wholesome and out of the hospital, particularly for these residing with COPD, which is already a high-risk illness for readmissions to the hospital.”
Byron Thomashow, M.D, Chief Medical Officer, COPD Basis
Questions on COPD administration within the COVID period?
The Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention (CDC) has recognized these residing with COPD amongst these at larger threat for probably the most extreme problems from COVID-19. To guard their well being, the American Lung Affiliation and COPD Basis encourage sufferers to work with their physician to assist handle their signs, keep on their upkeep medicines and alert their healthcare supplier of any modifications of their well being or signs. The organizations additionally encourage these residing with COPD to cut back their publicity to the virus by using telehealth when obtainable and beneficial by their supplier, working towards thorough handwashing and avoiding touching their face, carrying a masks, staying bodily distant from others and at house, when attainable.
As nationwide main organizations supporting the well being of COPD sufferers, the American Lung Affiliation and COPD Basis provide quite a lot of sources and assist for each COPD affected person and their caregivers:
- Be taught extra about COPD from the American Lung Affiliation, together with easy methods to handle signs and put together in your subsequent physician go to at Lung.org/COPD. Direct inquiries to the American Lung Affiliation’s toll-free Lung HelpLine at 1-800-LUNGUSA or e-mail our consultants. Go to Lung.org/covid19 for extra info on COVID-19.
- Learn to higher handle your signs or discover solutions to different regularly requested questions from the COPD Basis by visiting COPDFoundation.org and selecting Be taught Extra. The COPD Basis is devoted to offering the group with solutions to questions that may impression the administration of COPD throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Quitting smoking and vaping will help scale back your threat of COVID-19, and the American Lung Affiliation stands prepared to assist individuals beat their nicotine habit with confirmed strategies to stop. Be taught extra at Lung.org/quit-smoking or name the Lung HelpLine at 1-800-LUNGUSA.
Discover assist in COPD communities, together with on-line
Whereas COPD sufferers might do all they will to guard their well being from COVID-19, they could even be extra prone to expertise isolation and loneliness that will result in melancholy. These residing with COPD typically already battle to reside an lively life-style. Taking extra efforts to guard your well being could also be isolating and troublesome, however whereas we could also be bodily distanced, you’re not alone. There are sources and assist communities obtainable to you.”
Albert Rizzo, M.D, Chief Medical Officer, American Lung Affiliation
- The COPD Basis has an exquisite, lively group ready for you – COPD360social. In case you are residing with COPD, caring for somebody, or if you’re a healthcare skilled working with COPD sufferers, click on right here. We even have a particular on-line group for these residing with Bronchiectasis or NTM lung illness. To search out out extra, click on right here. Our social group would love so that you can be a part of the dialog!
- Get free assist by the American Lung Affiliation’s Higher Breathers Community, which has offered assist and group to these dealing with COPD for greater than 40 years, and is now obtainable just about to achieve these in rural areas and to supply safeguards for contributors’ well being throughout the pandemic.
- The American Lung Affiliation is proud to assist the free, peer-to-peer on-line group at Encourage.com for individuals dealing with COPD, so you’ll be able to join with people who find themselves in your sneakers. You can begin or reply to threads on the communities, add images and seek for particular matters to search out different members who share the identical pursuits.
For extra info on the American Lung Affiliation, go to Lung.org. Be taught extra concerning the COPD Basis at COPDfoundation.org or direct inquiries to the COPD Basis at [email protected] For media in search of to schedule an interview with a lung well being skilled, contact Stephanie Goldina from the American Lung Affiliation at [email protected] or Susan Williams from the COPD Basis at [email protected]