Showtime is exploring the lifetime of comedy legend John Belushi in a brand-new documentary airing Nov. 22. Listed below are 5 key issues to know in regards to the late ‘SNL’ star who died far too quickly.
The brand new documentary Belushi will premiere Nov. 22. at 9 p.m. on Showtime. Director R.J. Cutler will peel again the layers of the late John Belushi, a beloved comedy icon. Household and mates will share recollections about John within the documentary, together with Dan Aykroyd, Chevy Chase, Lorne Michaels, and extra. So, who’s John Belushi? HollywoodLife is getting you all caught up earlier than the doc.
1. John was one of many authentic Saturday Evening Stay solid members. John kicked off Saturday Evening Stay in 1975 alongside eight different comedians who have been dubbed “The Not Prepared for Primetime Gamers.” These names included Dan, Chevy, Gilda Radner, and extra. John shortly turned one of many present’s breakout stars. His most well-known characters have been Samurai Futaba, a killer bee, and extra. He was a solid member from 1975 to 1979.
2. John tragically died at 33 from a drug overdose. The comic was discovered useless in his bungalow on the Chateau Marmont on March 5, 1982. The night time earlier than, he had been partying and actors Robin Williams and Robert De Niro had reportedly visited him. The reason for John’s dying was an overdose of cocaine and heroin, often called a speedball. Cathy Smith, the girl who provided John with the medicine, spent 15 months in jail after pleading responsible to involuntary manslaughter and several other drug expenses in connection along with his dying. John was survived by his spouse, Judith. They’d no kids.
3. He was greatest mates with Dan Akyroyd. John and Dan turned quick mates throughout their tenure on Saturday Evening Stay. Their skit collectively, the Blues Brothers, turned such successful that it spawned a film. The Blues Brothers was launched in 1980 and has reached cult movie standing. John and Dan have been presupposed to current the Oscar for Greatest Visible Results in 1982, however John died simply weeks earlier than the ceremony. When Dan offered the award, he stated this about John: “My companion would have cherished to have been right here tonight to current this award, since he was a little bit of a visible impact himself.”
4. He starred in a variety of hit motion pictures earlier than his dying. Along with The Blues Brothers, John’s largest movie was the 1978 film Nationwide Lampoon’s Animal Home, which is acknowledged as probably the greatest comedies of all-time. John additionally starred in motion pictures like 1941 and Neighbors earlier than his dying.
5. John’s brother is a well-known actor. John’s youthful brother is Jim Belushi, a well-known actor and comic. Jim was an SNL solid member from 1983 to 1985. He’s greatest identified for his position within the sitcom In line with Jim.